Coconut oil is one of those things that has been given a bad rap in these fat-fearing times we live in. I think its reputation has been unnecessarily, and unrightfully, sullied. Coconut oil does so many wonderful things for our body that if it was a god, I would worship it. Or at least gaze at it in wonder and awe.
Here are just some of the amazing things about coconut oil:
- It has an SPF rating of between 4 and 6, which makes it a great substitute for chemical-laden sunscreens. It will also make you smell divine and who doesn’t want that!
- It has the highest smoke point of any oil, including olive oil, which means it won’t oxidise when heated. This makes it the best oil to cook with.
- It will change the way you see chips. Seriously. If you have ever used it to make sweet potato chips, you will know what I’m talking about. So good.
- Its ability to help you lose weight is two-fold: when we up our consumption of good fats, like coconut oil, we are more satisfied and less likely to reach for sugary food. From a scientific perspective, coconut oil is made up of medium-chain fatty acids. These are easy for our body to process and help to speed up the metabolism.
- It is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, and it can help clear up candida overgrowth.
- It can help remove toxins from your body, if you use it when oil pulling.
- It is great for your skin! There are naturally occurring fats in coconut oil that get deep into your skin, moisturising and creating a protective barrier.
- It is even better for your hair! The fatty acids in coconut oil have a small molecular structure, allowing them to pass easily into the hair’s cell membrane to provide deep conditioning.
- Did I mention it tastes great?
A final note: you want to get the cold-pressed, organic variety. I like the one that Melrose make.
OK, I lied, this is the real final note: I got my information here.